Polish President among 132 dead in Russia jet crash

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:25 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_plane_crash
MOSCOW – Polish President Lech Kaczynski and his wife died Saturday along with 130 others when their plane crashed while coming in for a landing in western Russia, officials said.
The governor of the Smolensk region, where the crash took place about 11 a.m. (0700 GMT), said no one survived.
"The Polish presidential plane did not make it to the runway while landing. Tentative findings indicate that it hit the treetops and fell apart," Sergei Anufriev said on state news channel Rossiya-24. "Nobody has survived the disaster."..
The presidential plane was a Soviet-built Tupolev TU154M, at least 20 years old. The Army chief of staff, Gen. Franciszek Gagor, National Bank President Slawomir Skrzypek and Deputy Foreign Minister Andrzej Kremer were on the passenger list.

Moral of the story: one way to avoid disasters is not to come anywhere near them. For example, do not go to russia. Do not fly soviet-built tupolevs.

Re: Polish President among 132 dead in Russia jet crash

Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:35 am

I have made it a rule never to fly on the national airline of a 3rd-world country.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:44 am

IIRC, that plane is the one that looks like a 727 clone. They've been around forever, and you see them all around Asia and eastern Europe. In my travels around communist countries, I have not been impressed with the condition of the planes nor the service of the 'eastern block' airlines. I try to stick with US carriers, although a few years ago I was on a Delta 757 (must have been one of the first ones) and the TV (hanging from the ceiling) in the aisle, had its housing held together with duct tape. "Deferred maintenance"?

Speaking of Russian airlines...There was an odd case in Seattle (when I lived there years ago) of an Aeroflot flight from eastern Russia to Seattle (an odd route) where the pilot spoke such shitty English that the air traffic people in Seattle could not communicate with him, and he was not following their instructions on how to approach Seattle. So they managed to get him the hell out of the way, and sent him up over the Olympic Penninsula (NW of Seattle, and uninhabited and mountainous) and had him fly around in circles until they found someone at air traffic in Seattle who spoke Russian. It made the papers.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:01 am

GSlob wrote:
Moral of the story: one way to avoid disasters is not to come anywhere near them. For example, do not go to russia. Do not fly soviet-built tupolevs.

Do not let a pollock fly your plane

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:15 am

satchmodog wrote:
GSlob wrote:

Especially Jackson!

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:19 am

satchmodog wrote:
GSlob wrote:

Yep. Despite low fares, when I travel overseas (especially Asia), I am always suspicious of 'Bang My Wang' airlines and other mysterious airlines and their ilk -- - most of their planes belong in museums.
I prefer a newer US-made plane (I'll settle for a ScareBus, in a pinch), flown by an experienced pilot who speaks proper English - like the dude that carefully dunked the US Airways A320 into the Hudson River.
Last edited by Floyd Pinkus on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:19 am

satchmodog wrote:
GSlob wrote:

Or maybe you meant the fish? But he's got no hands, man!

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:20 am

saganite wrote:
satchmodog wrote:
GSlob wrote:

Especially Jackson!

Yep, they shouldn't drive cars either :D

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:29 am

satchmodog wrote:
saganite wrote:
satchmodog wrote:
GSlob wrote:

Especially Jackson!

Yep, they shouldn't drive cars either :D

Pollock is actually OK, as a food fish (its an Atlantic fish). It is what is often used in fish'n'chips.
As for Jackson P, I've often thought his 'art' looks like what happens when you can quite make it to the john in time, and it ends up on a canvas - a sort-of tribute to Taco Bell. Is it 'art' or a 'colorfull fart'?.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:34 am

It pays to avoid flying into Russia with Russian airliners when you are the President of a pro-western democracy.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:39 am

If you fly into Russia, only take US based airlines, and don't go any further than Moscow.
(United goes to St Petersburg via Helsinki and it's a nice flight)

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:52 am

Hmm, Putin says he'll head a commission to look into the crash. I'd feel a lot better if he had nothing to do with the investigation.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:01 am

I was on a Tupolev only once - it shook very badly on take off. I figure I'm not a cat, so, never again, under any circumstances.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:01 am

The Poles are already suspicious of Russia; this won't help matters.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:06 am

It's hard to blame the TU154 in this case. They were warned off the airport due to fog. They made repeated attempts to land. Finally they clipped the treetops on approach. I don't see how to blame the equipment. This is pretty standard pilot induced disaster.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:37 am

The tragic irony of this crash is that the entourage was in Russia to mark the 70th anniversary of the Katyn massacre.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:39 am

jlogajan wrote:It's hard to blame the TU154 in this case. They were warned off the airport due to fog. They made repeated attempts to land. Finally they clipped the treetops on approach. I don't see how to blame the equipment. This is pretty standard pilot induced disaster.

Aka "Get there-itis." It's a serious problem when flying high profile people who have to "get there" on time -- the urgency of getting there overrides the pilot's normal safety concerns, if he's foolish enough to let it happen.

That said, and with all due respect and condolences to the victims and their families, it's time for my favorite Polish airline joke:

The Polish National Airline is granted permission to fly into New York's JFK International airport. The management of the airline wants to make a good first impression, so they appoint their most experienced and talented flight crew to fly the inaugural flight to the Big Apple.

As they begin their decent into NYC airspace, the pilot becomes somewhat overwhelmed by the heavy traffic, machine-gun paced directions from ATC, etc. The flat truth is neither the pilot nor the co-pilot had ever flown into an airport this busy in their entire careers. As they get in closer, there is a momentary confusion as the two pilots are overwhelmed by the myriad of runways and taxiways running in all conceivable directions, but they eventually get things sorted out and find the running they think they are supposed to land on. As they get cleared to land and begin their final approach to JFK, the pilot eyes the runway, and says to his co-pilot: "Stusch -- this goingk to be very short landingk -- give me 20 degree flaps."

Wrrrrrrrrr. ..... down go the flaps, and the pilot steepens his descent. The Control tower is now barking at the Polish plane, but the pilot is so stressed out he tells his co-pilot to turn down the radio's volume so he can concentrate on making the best landing of his life.

As he gets closer to landing, the pilot realizes the runway is even shorter than he first thought: "Stusch; give 30 degree flap!"

Wrrrrrrrr.... down go the flaps a little further, and the pilot increases the steepness of the descent. In the background, the control tower at JFK is now screaming at the Polish pilots, but they ignore it.

At the last moment the pilot begins shouting: "Stusch; this is shortest landingk I ever make, give me FULL FLAPS NOW, landingk gear down!" Wrrrrrr...... clump, cabump thump! -- go the flaps and landing gear, as the overwhelmed Polish pilot increases the steepness of the descent to point where the government officials on board the flight in the passenger cabin think they are going straight down and are about to die.

At the last possible moment the , the pilot heaves back on the control column, pulling the plane out of the dive and greases the wheels onto the concrete surface just inches from the edge of the grass, and begins scream commands to his co-pilot: "STUSCH; FULL POWER THRUST REVERSERS!! FULL BRAKES!! EMERGENCY BRAKES!!!!" as they struggle to get the plane stopped before the end of the runway.

The plane comes to a halt with its nose wheel a mere inch away from the grass at the edge of the runway, as heavy smoke billows off the tires, a long black streak trailing behind them where the plane skidded across the pavement. The pilots throttle back the engines to idle, the passengers stop praying, and start cheering the fact they are still alive.

As they pilots proceed to prepare to taxi to the terminal, the pilot says to his co-pilot as he wipes the sweat from his forehead: "Stusch; that has to be shortest runway in world!"

To which his co-pilot responds, first looking of into the distance to his left, and then to his right: "Yes, and the WIDEST, too!"

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:40 am

Floyd Pinkus wrote:IIRC, that plane is the one that looks like a 727 clone. They've been around forever, and you see them all around Asia and eastern Europe. In my travels around communist countries, I have not been impressed with the condition of the planes nor the service of the 'eastern block' airlines. I try to stick with US carriers, although a few years ago I was on a Delta 757 (must have been one of the first ones) and the TV (hanging from the ceiling) in the aisle, had its housing held together with duct tape. "Deferred maintenance"?

It really depends on how good the maintenance is. Delta still has a (shrinking) fleet of DC-9's, the newest of which is over 30 years old. About 2 months ago I was on a 42-year-old DC-9-30 and it was still in quite good condition.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:49 am

Why is a head of state flying in such a piece of shit plane like the TU154? It was ancient 20 years ago.

I flew in one once...big crapcan with wings.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:54 am

I guess the Polish got polished. [-X

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:05 pm

ReturnoftheNino wrote:Hmm, Putin says he'll head a commission to look into the crash. I'd feel a lot better if he had nothing to do with the investigation.

He needs a commission to decide whom to award medals for the successful action.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:41 pm

I would like to give my condolences to the families of those who died. It's always bad when a plane goes down.

Obligatory Polish Airline Joke: Some Polish ex-patriots are returning to Poland after the fall of communism. As the plane approaches the Fryderyk Chopin Airport, the pilot announces that off to the left side of the aircraft, one can see the Lazienski and Water Palaces. A few people look out. Then the pilot points out that the Old Town can be seen to the right. All the passangers rush to look out the right side of the aircraft. The pilot is having some trouble controling the aircraft and makes the following announcement, "Please, everyone return to their seats. Too many Poles in the right half plane leads to instability."

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Doctor Stochastic wrote:I would like to give my condolences to the families of those who died. It's always bad when a plane goes down.

Obligatory Polish Airline Joke: Some Polish ex-patriots are returning to Poland after the fall of communism. As the plane approaches the Fryderyk Chopin Airport, the pilot announces that off to the left side of the aircraft, one can see the Lazienski and Water Palaces. A few people look out. Then the pilot points out that the Old Town can be seen to the right. All the passangers rush to look out the right side of the aircraft. The pilot is having some trouble controling the aircraft and makes the following announcement, "Please, everyone return to their seats. Too many Poles in the right half plane leads to instability."

Mono-Poles or di-Poles?

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:24 pm

narby wrote:It pays to avoid flying into Russia with Russian airliners when you are the President of a pro-western democracy.

yakov-smirnoff.jpg

"...in Russia, plane lands you!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Sad day for our friends. Too bad the pilot didn't just turn the damn thing around.

Full Version