Unmasked blogger blames First Baptist, Sheriff's Office

Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:31 pm

A subpoena is used to obtain critic's identity from Google
By Jeff Brumley Story
updated at 6:29 AM on Friday, Apr. 10, 2009

A blogger critical of First Baptist Church Pastor Mac Brunson wants to know why his Web site was investigated by a police detective who is also a member of the minister’s security detail.

Thomas A. Rich also wants the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office to explain what suspected crimes led Detective Robert Hinson to open the probe into his once-anonymous Web site.

Rich also wants to know why Hinson revealed his name to the church despite finding no wrongdoing. Hinson obtained a subpoena from the State Attorney’s Office requiring Google Inc. to reveal the author of the blog...

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/ ... ffs_office

Why religious power is best viewed as uniformly evil. A case study.

Re: Unmasked blogger blames First Baptist, Sheriff's Office

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:00 am

excineribus wrote:
By Jeff Brumley Story

A blogger critical of First Baptist Church Pastor Mac Brunson wants to know why his Web site was investigated by a police detective who is also a member of the minister’s security detail.

Thomas A. Rich also wants the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office to explain what suspected crimes led Detective Robert Hinson to open the probe into his once-anonymous Web site.

Rich also wants to know why Hinson revealed his name to the church despite finding no wrongdoing. Hinson obtained a subpoena from the State Attorney’s Office requiring Google Inc. to reveal the author of the blog...

Why does a "Baptist Church Pastor" have a "security detail".

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 am

narby wrote:
Vanity. Unless the detail is large enough to blanket the large areas [like the presidential detail], someone who really wants to get him, will.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:54 am

narby wrote:Why does a "Baptist Church Pastor" have a "security detail".

Apparently, you've never met a Baptist Pastor. The one who crossed my path was one vile individual.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 am

narby wrote:
excineribus wrote:
By Jeff Brumley Story

I'm thinking if some wacko spent two years of his life obsessed with my every move, I might take on a bit of extra security myself.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:53 am

Two additional bloggers investigated by Hinson said they were also not contacted. They learned of the probe in middle or late March. Their blogs do not focus on First Baptist.

Mackesy said the three bloggers didn’t need to be contacted because Hinson uncovered nothing criminal.
“The detective hasn’t done anything wrong,” he said.

This is abuse of power.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:03 pm

excineribus wrote:
By Jeff Brumley Story

Religion seems to be secondary to the abuse of state power in this case.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Security organizations do not abuse power because it is in their advantage to do so, they abuse power because it is in their nature to do so.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Doctor Stochastic wrote:Security organizations do not abuse power because it is in their advantage to do so, they abuse power because it is in their nature to do so.

:hesaid:

Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:13 pm

Doctor Stochastic wrote:Security organizations do not abuse power because it is in their advantage to do so, they abuse power because it is in their nature to do so.
Actually, this is in the nature of power itself and of whoever gets to wield it. The security organizations are merely a particular case.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:16 pm

GSlob wrote:
Actually, this is in the nature of power itself and of whoever gets to wield it. The security organizations are merely a particular case.

Thus Lord Acton's dictum is demonstrated yet again.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:34 am

This one is pretty close to home, because I have a nephew who make his living suing the JSO. He is seldom sort of clients. We were discussing this yesterday.

First Baptist pretty much owns Jacksonville. It's the local equivalent of the Chicago Democrats.

It would be nice if the blogger community stepped up on this one. Local resources aren't going to go very far.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Gumlegs wrote:
GSlob wrote:

Thus Lord Acton's dictum is demonstrated yet again.

Thus government power should be limited; the principle of Least Acton.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:17 pm

Yesterday was an important day in the just over 3-year life of the FBC Jax Watchdog blog...

The monetary settlement was for $50,000 representing the damages we have incurred from the actions of the JSO officer and Assistant State Attorney in unmasking my identity as the Watchdog blogger through subpoena power, and the ensuing banishment from our church – but much more important than the financial settlement is that the settlement agreement includes a commitment on the part of the city, specifically Sheriff John Rutherford, to make positive changes at the JSO stemming from the circumstances that led to this lawsuit...

http://fbcjaxwatchdog.blogspot.com/2010 ... aking.html

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:27 pm

excineribus wrote:http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/ ... ffs_office

This has more to do with corruption than religion. Save your fire for the real game.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm thinking if some wacko spent two years of his life obsessed with my every move, I might take on a bit of extra security myself.

FBC own about a third of downtown real estate, and the rules against placing the usual kinds of downtown businesses in proximity to churches makes the downtown something of a desert. there are virtually no restaurants, almost no retail stores, and nothing open past 5 pm.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:05 pm

gcruse wrote:

This has more to do with corruption than religion. Save your fire for the real game.

Not much difference in my book.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:22 pm

doc30 wrote:
gcruse wrote:

Religion is corrupt? Interesting thought.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:26 pm

gcruse wrote:
doc30 wrote:
gcruse wrote:

Religion is corrupt? Interesting thought.

Jesus certainly thought so.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:03 am

gcruse wrote:
doc30 wrote:
gcruse wrote:

Organized Religion is corrupt? Interesting thought.

In all honesty, one of the reasons I stopped going to church was the ridiculus politics, backstabbing, lying, cheating, and general nastiness of such places. It was all about power and pride. Church is one place God definitely needs to be because He sure is needed there.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:28 am

doc30 wrote:
gcruse wrote:
doc30 wrote:
gcruse wrote:

In all honesty, one of the reasons I stopped going to church was the ridiculus politics, backstabbing, lying, cheating, and general nastiness of such places. It was all about power and pride. Church is one place God definitely needs to be because He sure is needed there.

:hesaid: -----> Infinity.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:33 am

gcruse wrote:
Why, anything organized [beyond a small voluntary association] necessarily becomes corrupt as soon as it needs and develops its own social organization. That's where the Tea Parties, being essentially disorganized, come reasonably clean. Not through any inherent virtue which does not exist, just through the lack of organization.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:53 am

Hinson obtained a subpoena from the State Attorney’s Office requiring Google Inc. to reveal the author of the blog...

This is the only abuse of government power evident. The rest is the equivalent of asking the question, "who". The person asking the question is a hired cop. So what. Better than hiring the local mafia. :)

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:36 pm

GSlob wrote:
gcruse wrote:
Why, anything organized [beyond a small voluntary association] necessarily becomes corrupt as soon as it needs and develops its own social organization. That's where the Tea Parties, being essentially disorganized, come reasonably clean. Not through any inherent virtue which does not exist, just through the lack of organization.

I agree and would like to point out that Doc30 changed my post from 'religion' to 'organized religion' during the quoting process. II I had wanted to say 'organized,' I would have. But I didn't.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:18 pm

II I had wanted to say 'organized,' I would have. But I didn't.

It's possible for ideas to be wrong, but it takes people to be corrupt.