Most Diversity Training Ineffective, Study Finds

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:30 pm

So mandatory "diversity training" is effectively being used to give legal cover to discriminate? LMAO.

Full article here

A comprehensive review of 31 years of data from 830 mid-size to large U.S. workplaces found that the kind of diversity training exercises offered at most firms were followed by a 7.5 percent drop in the number of women in management. The number of black, female managers fell by 10 percent, and the number of black men in top positions fell by 12 percent. Similar effects were seen for Latinos and Asians.

The analysis did not find that all diversity training is useless. Rather, it showed that mandatory programs -- often undertaken mainly with an eye to avoiding liability in discrimination lawsuits -- were the problem. When diversity training is voluntary and undertaken to advance a company's business goals, it was associated with increased diversity in management.

Re: Most Diversity Training Ineffective, Study Finds

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:31 pm

tortoise wrote:So mandatory "diversity training" is effectively being used to give legal cover to discriminate? LMAO.

Full article here

A comprehensive review of 31 years of data from 830 mid-size to large U.S. workplaces found that the kind of diversity training exercises offered at most firms were followed by a 7.5 percent drop in the number of women in management. The number of black, female managers fell by 10 percent, and the number of black men in top positions fell by 12 percent. Similar effects were seen for Latinos and Asians.

The analysis did not find that all diversity training is useless. Rather, it showed that mandatory programs -- often undertaken mainly with an eye to avoiding liability in discrimination lawsuits -- were the problem. When diversity training is voluntary and undertaken to advance a company's business goals, it was associated with increased diversity in management.

I am shocked! Shocked I tells ya!!! :lol:

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Once, Los Alamos was required to give diversity training to all employees. Expensive, loss of 80,000 mythical man-hours. (Actually more, the support staff, secretaries, janitors, guards, visiting scientists, etc. were required to take the training too.) The training itself only showed most of us (who had been through grad school) that people were complaining about less harassment that we went through. Things like being from Texas, (the South too), small college, etc. seem to provoke some professors into claiming certain students (Texas, South, small school graduates, inter alia) as being automatically "not college material." It's just something one puts up with (and hopefully doesn't perpuate later.)

However, my karma did run over one professors dogma. He orignally claimed that I was "not college material" (Texas) and shouldn't be in the department. About four years later he (having forgotten his claims) asked me to work for him (I didn't, but not because of his earlier statements; I had a better offer.) He later took a job in a small college in Texas.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:42 pm

I'm shocked. Shocked!
Professors lied.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:55 pm

If I were a white male watching a diversity training video, I'd be as scared as hell to hire anyone that wasn't a white male.

The vast majority of those falling within minority demographics didn't get where they are now by playing victims.

IMO, acts of discrimination are quite pervasive, but the vast majority of discrimination is not by someone who's inherently racist, sexist, etc. Few professionals like that exist. Instead, when someone who's the opposite gender, who's disabled, who's got a different skin color, etc., succeeds, people can suddenly pick up discriminatory tendencies. "How could she have gotten promoted--it must have been because she's black!" It's part of human condition, and it's no more of a problem than the old "he's obviously the boss's favorite" refrain; the more different a target is, the easier it is to blame the differences. No need for training videos on that, assholes will always be assholes blaming their shortcomings on anything except themselves, regardless of their targets' demographics.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:11 pm

I think diversity training makes people resent others more.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:12 pm

satchmodog wrote:I think diversity training makes people resent others more.
True. Basic reinforcement of the knee-jerk reflex.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:28 pm

It also reinforces seeing people as constituents of groups rather than as individuals.

Office prejudice is a real problem, but clearly we should be aiming for effective solutions rather than ineffective measures designed to make the company look good. Here's a prejudice I have: I think the people who get rich off of pimping this ineffective PC crap are scum.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:36 pm

phocion wrote:It also reinforces seeing people as constituents of groups rather than as individuals.

Office prejudice is a real problem, but clearly we should be aiming for effective solutions rather than ineffective measures designed to make the company look good. Here's a prejudice I have: I think the people who get rich off of pimping this ineffective PC crap are scum.
There is no solution to it. There exists a body of opinion claiming that the group of phenomena collectively called "xenophobia" is genetically based, and a direct evolutionary manifestation.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:40 pm

DestyNX wrote:IMO, acts of discrimination are quite pervasive, but the vast majority of discrimination is not by someone who's inherently racist, sexist, etc. Few professionals like that exist. Instead, when someone who's the opposite gender, who's disabled, who's got a different skin color, etc., succeeds, people can suddenly pick up discriminatory tendencies. "How could she have gotten promoted--it must have been because she's black!"

Yeah, but very often the reason she did get promoted is because she's black. That's the true perniciousness of AA; it makes racism and sexism rational. In some cases - e.g. minority admissions to highly selective educational programs, you can simply run the numbers, and find that of ten minority admits, nine would not be there if not for a preference program.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:42 pm

GSlob wrote:
phocion wrote:It also reinforces seeing people as constituents of groups rather than as individuals.

There is no solution to it. There exists a body of opinion claiming that the group of phenomena collectively called "xenophobia" is genetically based, and a direct evolutionary manifestation.

True enough. Animals do the same thing to many they consider outsiders. It is quite interesting from an evolutionary angle. I don't think all prejudice is hate. To some extent, it has to be an innate defense mechanism.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:48 pm

GSlob wrote:

It all depends on how inclusive you make your group. Just because there is a biological tendency for hostility to those outside one's group doesn't mean that such hostility can't be overcome. Genes are far from destiny when a complicated behavioral trait such as this is concerned.

That being said, the diversity training that this article is talking about is feel-good bunk.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:48 pm

GSlob wrote:

I'm not saying you can eradicate prejudice, but there ought to be systematic ways to limit its discriminatory impact at work. In centuries past, Western people would kill and enslave each other over minor theological details. Treating someone of a different gender or race as an equal was totally out the question. Now it's entirely feasible to have a productive relationship at work with a person of a different gender, race, religion, AND sexual orientation. So clearly there's been some measure of improvement (in spite of evolutionary pressures) and more work that can be done in that direction.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:51 pm

All depends on how you train.

I've seen the terrible ones, the touchy feely training, and the results based legal training.

Big difference.

And it depends on your workforce.

It is very valuable, if it is done right.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:55 pm

phocion wrote:
GSlob wrote:

I'm not saying you can eradicate prejudice, but there ought to be systematic ways to limit its discriminatory impact at work. In centuries past, Western people would kill and enslave each other over minor theological details. Treating someone of a different gender or race as an equal was totally out the question. Now it's entirely feasible to have a productive relationship at work with a person of a different gender, race, religion, AND sexual orientation. So clearly there's been some measure of improvement (in spite of evolutionary pressures) and more work that can be done in that direction.
The only way to limit is to move to strict - why, blind - meritocracy, and to terminate [with prejudice] all preference programs. As the Lord Chief Justice Roberts wrote some time ago, "the way to end racial preferences is to end them" [quoting from memory, and in all probability imprecisely]

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Looks like we found the left's version of abstinence-only education.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:40 pm

Companies can force people to attend political re-education training.

They can't stop men, women, and all races from laughing at the pathetic ideals of diver-th-ity and toleran-th, which they try to force on everyone.

Perhaps I should be more th-en-th-itive?

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:54 pm

The "Diversity Training" Episode of the the show "Rescue Me" has the perfect response to this touchy-feely hogwash. I can't do justice to it, but suffice to say the firemen get in trouble for harrassing a female coworker, and are "sentenced" to mandatory sensitivity/diversity training. What they proceeded to say during the training session left the sensitivity trainer apoplectic and the audience in stitches. It involves what the firemen considered to be appropriate slang terms for female genitalia.

God bless cable TV.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:22 pm

phantomworker wrote:Micro-inequity training is the big thing now and it has the potential to get out of hand. For example, anything that could make a fellow employee feel uncomfortable could cause problems.

True story: Some employees ordered this type of chair to use at the office. Another employee was overweight and couldn't use one. So she complained that it made her feel uncomfortable because it drew attention to her weight, so the other employees couldn't use their chairs anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microinequity

well, it is not a forklift, after all.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:28 pm

phantomworker wrote:
GSlob wrote:
phantomworker wrote:Micro-inequity training is the big thing now and it has the potential to get out of hand. For example, anything that could make a fellow employee feel uncomfortable could cause problems.

True story: Some employees ordered this type of chair to use at the office. Another employee was overweight and couldn't use one. So she complained that it made her feel uncomfortable because it drew attention to her weight, so the other employees couldn't use their chairs anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microinequity

well, it is not a forklift, after all.

:lol: :lol:
It does look like a hydraulic jack, though.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:40 pm

RWP wrote:Yeah, but very often the reason she did get promoted is because she's black. That's the true perniciousness of AA; it makes racism and sexism rational. In some cases - e.g. minority admissions to highly selective educational programs, you can simply run the numbers, and find that of ten minority admits, nine would not be there if not for a preference program.

We can only speak to our own experiences. You're in an university and AA has a much greater influence there. In the private sector profit rules, and promoting lesser qualified people, or hiring people who cry victim at the drop of a hat, is not an optimal way to boost stocks.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:47 pm

Not true. Some people need to learn boundries.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:55 pm

annyokie wrote:

Not true. Some people need to learn boundries.

Everyone needs to learn boundaries. Hopefully most of us learn them as children. Corporate behavior policies can be set and enforced. However extensive "training" beyond stating the expectations of behavior in effect punishes the majority while assuming they are ignorant morons.

Most (probably all) corporations have policies that prohibit stealing (employee stealing from the corporation or other employees that is, probably a different set of books if the corporation is stealing from the employees or customers.) A training session to teach why stealing is bad would simply annoy and insult the average person.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:58 pm

Found it!

The Most Politically Incorrect Sensitivity Training Session (courtesy of "Rescue Me") (WARNING: NSFW):

http://tinyurl.com/28sgaj

Enjoy.

Full Version